7 November 2021
Government of the Cook Islands
Te Kauono Tutara e te Mana Tiaki – Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration
Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Immigration has begun the process to bring Cook Islands residents home before Christmas.
Following Prime Minister Mark Browns announcement Thursday evening, MFAI activated their Managed Returns team whose role is to coordinate registrations for the two managed returns flights to depart Auckland, New Zealand on Friday 19 November 2021 and Friday 3 December 2021. Last Thursday evening, Managed Returns opened up an official online expression of interest registration protocol. As of Sunday afternoon total expressions of interest received was 273 for 554 passengers. Those registered by Friday have now received to their registered email address a document that contains all the information required to complete the application for a managed return flight home.
Principal Immigration Officer Kairangi Samuela advises “It is important to note that there are limited seats available on these two managed return flights. While eligibility for managed returns is open to Cook Islanders, Permanent Residents and valid permit holders whom are normally resident in the Cook Islands, priority is given to medical referral patients, their immediate caregiver and secondary and tertiary students.”
What you need to know:
1. All intended travellers are required to self-isolate in their home (as much as possible) for the 10 days prior to their departure date.
2. All passengers aged 2 years and above are required to take a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of the departure date. Evidence of a negative result will need to be provided on or before the departure date. No test result means that you will be unable to travel.
3. The Online Contact Information form will need to be completed within 72 hours of your travel date.
4. MIQ upon arrival to Rarotonga for 10 days including Covid-19 testing on Day 0, Day 5 and Day 9.
Managed Isolation/Quarantine (MIQ)
1. MIQ is on a user pays basis.
2. You can expect to pay $2,142.00 per individual for up to 10 days MIQ plus related costs.
3. Only returning secondary and tertiary students, medical referral patients and their immediate caregiver normally resident in the Cook Islands are exempt from MIQ costs.
The next steps:
1. All registered persons, will receive an email and application form.
2. Registered persons will need to complete the Managed Returns Application form and return by email along with the required supporting documents.
The Managed Returns team will continue to work through the process to assist and assess all registrants, but Samuela reminds applicants that it is their responsibility to comply with the guidelines and encourages all to submit their information complete and in a timely manner.
Registration for both managed return flights closes 12 November 2021 (CKT). All queries to email ManagedReturns@cookislands.gov.ck